Made For The Valleys Of Life

I love getting away to the mountains. We have plans to do so this fall and I can't wait. The smells, the colors, the quietness... I can't get enough.

When Jesus appointed the twelve apostles, He called them unto the hills and they came to Him (Mark 3:13). The Lord retreated to the hills or mountains for moments of solitude when crowds became too great. However, He teaches we were not made for mountaintop experiences alone. We were made for the valleys of life. God allows us a view from the hills, but only so that we might be refreshed enough to return to the valleys. Where the action is. I'm learning mountaintops are for views and inspiration, but fruit is grown in the valleys. God has called us into the valley of life where lost people are. To spend all of our time in the hills, we would not effectively serve God. So I encourage you, when you find yourself in the different valleys of life, know you're right where you're supposed to be... where the action is... where God is. He has not forgotten you. And through Him we have the hope that those valleys will lead us to rivers of joy!!!


"The Valley Song"
-Jars of Clay


2 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    Love this piece of encouragement, Janelle! We're getting away to the Poconos next week and I can't wait for the time of refreshment. I hope the same happens for you :) But I have to remember that the valleys are for a purpose!


  2. Trips to the mountains, especially in the Fall of the year, are my favorite. You shared it all so well, when you described the surroundings. Mountains and valleys...are so important and yet can be so hard to understand the "whys" of each one.