Challenged

I was challenged early this week with the thought of giving up my own plans. Now, this isn't a new concept for me. I’ve always had my own plans and the Lord has graciously said no and revealed to me the plan that HE has for my life. Sometimes I’m open to them and sometimes my attitude has been down right childish. This week it seemed to hit me more. Just so you know, this isn't going to happen as far as I know… but Dustin and I were having a conversation and a hypothetical question came up. "What if we were called to sell our house in the near future?"  “......What?! NO!” Was my quick, almost teary eyed response. It hit me like a ton of bricks how attached I am to this house. All the tedious hard work, all the physical pain, all the waiting, all the pay checks and all the stress to make this house into what it is today… and to think of leaving it!? YEAH RIGHT! Because of how much Dustin and I have grown together in this house, I have become very emotionally attached to it. Naturally. Many people move two or three times before they settle into a house for good. Well, this house was it for us. I already had it settled in my mind that this would be where we would raise our children. And hey, it very well may be. But I thought about how quick my reaction was and how unwilling I was to go beyond any other scenario and it kind of scared me. How is the Lord to use me when I’m so unwilling to move?

If I take a step back and look at the big picture, I see that it’s just a house. It’s special to me yes, but it’s still just four walls and a roof. It immediately made me think of 1 Corinthians 7:31.  “Those who use the things of the world should not become attached to them. For this world as we know it will soon pass away.” 

Eek! That’s me. If the Lord calls us to a different place or any kind of change I want to be able to have a willing heart and to be able to say, “Sure God, no biggie!” Because I don't want to miss out on the cool things He has for us. Easier said than done, yes. But if it does ever happen, I want to be prepared and have confidence of where the Lord calls us, because we know wherever that is, we'll be in good hands. Being apart of His World is way better than being apart of our World. The verse that challenges me this week and beyond is Luke 9:23. “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.”

Jesus does not ask us to give up living, but to accept a newness and a fullness of life that only He can give.

P.S. – Sorry for the novel. If you’ve read all of this, Congrats! I’m impressed. 

6 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    Started following your blog, Janelle! Love this entry - it's a challenge to me as well. It's so hard to not get attached to things in this world and at worst, substitute them for God. But it's a great scriptural reminder that God has better things for us!

    p.s. I love your house, too :)


  2. Anonymous Says:

    Finally you've accepted the fact that you guys should move in to the unit below us. :)


  3. Dale Says:

    Now you have challenged ME in my thinking...it's hard to keep a loose grip on the things of this world...and keep walking by faith and not by sight. I love reading your blog and the thoughts you share...



  4. Miss Debbie Says:

    Good that you have come to this place of obedience now. So, if the call does come about the house or any other thing that is dear to you, you will have already made your decision. We tried to teach our children to decide ahead of time what their response would be in a compromising situation. It makes it easier to say "No" if the decision making process has already taken place. Of course, in your situation the answer would be "yes" because you are not being asked to compromise but to trust. You are a wise woman! :-)


  5. Miss Debbie Says:

    Just wanted you to know that I quoted you in my post today..thanks for inspiring me!